There are several myths about Legal Aid and for a definite answer about whether Legal Aid is available for your case, you will need to arrange an appointment with us. However, many people mistakenly believe that Legal Aid is not an option for them. The following are general pointers only:
  • You may still be entitled to Legal Aid even if you work. However, you may have to pay a contribution towards your costs. This is usual done over a twelve month period in equal monthly payments.
  • Criminal Legal Aid is not automatic but is granted by the Judge. Again, it can be available for people who are working although this depends on the seriousness of the charge and the possible outcomes. Many minor cases do not qualify for Legal Aid at all.
  • One of the big problems about Legal Aid is that for civil cases it can take a very long time to process an application but initial advice and assistance may be available under the Green Form Scheme which will allow us to look at your case and do some preliminary work before deciding whether it is worth while taking it further.
  • You must remember that if you recover any money or assets in a court case in which you are legally assisted, some or all of that money or property may be used to meet your own costs. Although this does not always happen, it is the basis on which the Legal Aid Certificate will be issued.
Yes. Without a Will, you have no control over who will sort out your affairs when you are gone, or where your assets will go. When you make a will, you appoint one or more people who you trust to sort out your affairs, and you make specific provision for your family or friends.
It depends on the amount of preparation involved. A very basic Will generally costs £75.00 + VAT, while a joint Will for a husband and wife would cost £125.00 + VAT. However, a more complicated Will is likely to be more expensive, especially if there is detailed Inheritance Tax planning, or the establishment of a trust is contemplated. We will give an approximate indication of cost when we know the likely amount of work involved.
This depends on the type of claim. For most accidents at work or on the road, you have to start court proceedings no later than 3 years from the date of the accident. However, there are exceptions to this rule. If you were a child when the accident happened, you have three years from the date of your eighteenth birthday to start proceedings. Sometimes, the three year time limit runs from the date that you became aware of your injury. The important thing is to call with us as soon as possible so that we can advise you whether you still have a claim.

Need more help?